Friday, February 27, 2015

Farewell to an Icon


I had intended on wrapping up a post about Thanos and the Thanosi tonight, but fate had other plans. Instead, I'm posting a fond farewell to a man that I didn't personally know, but one that had a profound effect on my life. I don't typically feel anything other than a quick "bummer" at the passing of actors/athletes/celebrities, but there are a few out there that do occasionally affect me. The passing of Leonard Nimoy is one.

While my sci-fi teeth were cut on Star Wars, it was Star Trek where they were honed. One of the most endearing characters on the Original Series was that of Spock, the half-breed Vulcan who was Captain Kirk's loyal and trustworthy sidekick. His cold facade hid a truly human heart. To this day I still tear up during the reactor scene in The Wrath of Khan as Spock forces out his heartfelt goodbye to his friend, "I have been - and always shall be - your friend..." is even more poignant now.

I credit Mr. Nimoy along with the rest of the cast and crew of Star Trek for instilling in my a love of science fiction and a desire to see their world become our future. It is with a heavy heart that I, like many of us today, say goodbye to one of the titans of the genre. Rest in Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.