Thursday, January 30, 2014

And the winner is...

I've decided to shift gears into continuing development of my gonzo kitchen sink sci-fi setting with Savage Worlds...until gamer ADD rears its ugly head again. Why? Well, I already have a ton of stuff ready to go and I like the way it feels from guns to mutations to psionics to cybernetics. Conversion to SW is rather easy, both by using a pre-set formula and by simply eyeballing it. Plus, SW has a pretty nice medium between ease of play and granularity. Lastly, for sci-fi games, I rather like there not being any classes. Let the player build their character the way they want. There's also a lot of great sci-fi material due out for SW this year.

Now that said, I'll still work on my mash-up of Alternity and Stars Without Number, and I do plan on putting out the occasional tidbit to support Rogue Space, not to mention my occasional forays back into fantasy-land with Swords & Wizardry.

So, what now? Well, some of the rules have changed from the old Sci-Fi Toolkit to the new Sci-Fi Companion, not to mention that much of the rules I put together were done with the Explorer's Edition, so there are a few things I need to up date with me using Deluxe. Once I make those changes, I'm going to go through my library and add in new bit and pieces from other settings and games. As far as the background of the setting goes, I've rethought a few things that I wrote before, so I'm going to make those changes as well.

So there you go, after much soul-searching and gut-wrenching moments of waffling, I finally made my decision. Stick around and see what's next!

3 comments:

kanegrundar said...

Hehe. Sorry to get your hopes up, Stu.

Fenway5 said...

Hey thanks for the support, the Dark Frontier's siren song cannot be resisted forever...

kanegrundar said...

Absolutely. SW may have my sci-fi heart at the moment, but Rogue Space is in a very close second, which is why I plan on supporting it on this blog. I've even been knocking around the idea of posting my conversions in both SW and RS formats.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.