Monday, December 15, 2014

What I'm Using Part 1

There are a TON of resources available to Savage Worlds players. Most of the time there's only one or two different takes on a property, but other times there are a lot of different perspectives on how to translate that property into Savage Worlds rules. While I love creating material and stats from the ground up, I don't pass up on an opportunity to let others do some of the "heavy lifting" for me! While I'll tend to write up my own backgrounds and such, I will and do use other peoples' stats for various races, creatures, gear, ships, and so on. This post gives some insights on where I'm getting the stats that I haven't written myself. The purpose here is twofold. First off, is to shine the spotlight on the work of others that I really enjoy that may have flown under other peoples' radar. Secondly, this post will serve an an index of sorts to not only alert you dear readers to what I use, but also to keep myself straight. With a kitchen sink setting, it can be a bit difficult to keep everything straight!

First off, this post is going to deal with the Savage Worlds side of things, since just about everything I use for Rogue Space is either core or converted by me. I use the Deluxe edition of the Savage Worlds rules along with the new Sci-Fi Companion. In any place that there is a difference between core and the SCF, I go with what's written in the SFC.

I find a lot of bits from the various Official and Licensed settings for Savage Worlds. Most of what end up using are races and creatures from the settings. Sci-Fi settings will see a lot more use as I'll pad out my weapons, cybernetics, gear, vehicles, and starships with the material from those settings. Now, just because I say that I use a race from a setting doesn't mean that a new player that wants to play a Grael from 50 Fathoms can just take his 50 Fathoms book and start a Grael character using unmodified stats. Especially with races and some creatures from fantasy settings, their stats may need to get tweaked to better fit into a sci-fi setting as well as fitting the background I write for them to fit into Mythic Space.
  • 50 Fathoms: Races (Atani, Doreen, Grael, Kehana, Kraken, Masaquani, Torathian (Red Men), Scrullians) & Bestiary (both Core and Companion)
  • Accursed: Not much here, but there are a few banes that I can see adding to the bestiary for the setting; Maggot Hounds, Leech Men, Scarabs, etc. 
  • Beasts & Barbarians: Some the less-fantastical creatures from the bestiary section are easily dropped onto an alien world as some strange beast. 
  • Broken Earth: Some of the creatures would make for great aliens. I've modified some of the mutations and related edges and hindrances to pad what I use from Darwin's World. 
  • Daring Tales of the Space Lanes: There are a lot of great bits throughout this entire series from new gear, edges, hindrances, creatures, to ships. Some might require a bit of re-working to get completely in line with SW Deluxe, but nothing major. 
  • Darwin's World: I use the system for mutations as the default system for create a mutant. Plus, some of the Terrors of the Wasteland make for great alien horrors. 
  • Deadlands Reloaded: With a lot of settings, I tend to use the bestiaries to pad out the number of creatures I can draw upon to help simulate the vast variety of life found in the cosmos and Deadlands is no different. This also includes the Deadlands - Hell on Earth setting as well. 
  • Earthdawn: Races (Obsidimen, Trolls, T'skrang, & Windling) and Creatures. 
  • East Texas University: There isn't much here to rob for Mythic Space (now when I get back into writing more about The Veil setting this setting will see a LOT more use), but there are a couple creatures that can be used: Hogzilla and Night Panther specifically. 
  • Evernight: The Bestiary is the primary focus here. 
  • Freeport: Races (Azhar & Hobgoblin) & several Creatures.
  • Hellfrost: Races (Cakali, Hyaenidae (I call them Gnolls), & Sand Goblin) & several creatures from the Bestiary. From what I hear, there are also some good bits to be found in the various Region Guides but I haven't actually picked up any for find out for myself. 
  • High Space: There is a lot here to use for Mythic Space (or any sci-fi setting): edged, hindrances, gear, weapons, armor, ships, etc. It's a veritable smorgasbord of items to check out. 
  • Interface Zero 2.0: I really love this setting and would like to someday run it on its own. For Mythic Space, virtually everything in this book is ripe for swiping. I use the races (Cyborgs are essentially "Full-Conversion Borgs", Human 2.0 are used for Augmented Humans, and Hybrids are used for Moreaus), much of the gear is usable alongside energy weapons and still found in wide use in the galaxy, and the vehicles would still see use in a lot of cities in the galaxy. I've even pulled over some of the bits from the Golemmech section to pad out the Mechs section. The section for Bio-Horror generation is pretty useful as is the Threats section. 
  • Mars: I love the ERB John Carter stories, so its no surprise that I make extensive use of Adamant's vision of the setting. Races (Red Men are Corvians, Grey Men are Thorpids, White Apes are Grillions, Green Men are Canaxi) and creatures are all used extensively.
  • Mercenary Breed: Just like with Interface Zero, I use MB extensively from races, weapons, gear, creatures, to the random generators in the Galaxy Guide. 
  • RunePunk: Not much here, but I do have some ideas for the Andari, Ferren, and Malakar. The bestiary for the setting has a few creatures that when tweaked a bit (basically removing references to the runestorms) can make effective alien creatures. 
  • Shaintar: Definitely look for write-ups for Brinche and Dregordians. This is also where I get stats for the Gretchin (Goblins), Ogres, and Orks. I *might* use Aevakar, but we'll see. The bestiary in Shaintar: Legends Arise has a few creatures that could make decent aliens, but most of them are far too tied to the fantasy genre for my tastes. 
  • Slipstream: If you can find a copy of this book, I highly recommend it. It's got a very Flash Gordon vibe, so some of the alien names are pretty simplistic which is a pretty easy thing to fix. The fragments can be reworked into planets. The bestiary is packed with great creatures.
  • Solomon Kane: There are several creatures in both the core book and all through the Savage Foes of Solomon Kane that would make good aliens. Beyond that, there's not a whole lot that I'll be using out of this line. 
  • Sundered Skies: I have to admit that even though this setting has sat on my shelf for a long time now, I've never done much with it. Looking back at it now, I can see me using some races like that Drakin, and a few of the creatures but most of the setting material is just too tied to the fantasy genre. 
  • The Last Parsec: So far, everything put out for the setting is easily dropped into whatever sci-fi/space opera setting you want. 
  • Warren C Norwood's Double Spiral War: The two aliens (Castorian & Oinaise) are readily usable. There is some gear that has been added to my lists, and the regions and planets listed in the gazetteer are easily usable as well. 
That should give you an idea of what to look for out of officially licensed products. In part two, I start breaking down what I use out of the various fan-made material. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.